Other NamesOriental QuayYork TerraceClyde QuayDewsbury TerraceDescription
Named after the ship "Oriental" which arrived in Wellington on 31 January 1840.
The portion from Kent Terrace to Fitzgerald Point was originally known as Clyde Quay; the attached map relating to the Te Aro Baths shows this portion. Clyde Quay was named after the ship "Clyde", which was wrecked on the way from Whanganui to Wellington and beached at Kaiwharawhara. This name was dropped in 1926 and the street became part of Oriental Parade.
Another early road that is now part of Oriental Parade was the roadway that runs in front of the "Seven Sisters", the row of terrace houses at 188-202 Oriental Parade, built 1906 and designed by architect Joshua Charlesworth. The upper part of what was part of Clyde Quay, When Charlesworth subdivided his land in 1904 he unofficially named the road York Terrace, which stuck. In 1916 there was confusion between this road and York Street, which runs off Taranaki Street, so Charlesworth was asked to suggest a new name. He suggested Dewsbury Terrace, which the Council adopted. Arguing in 1949 that the roadway was actually part of what was formerly Clyde Quay and not a separate street, Council renamed it to become part of Oriental Parade.