The Kaimanawa II was built in 1944 by Henry Robb of Leith for the Union Steam Ship Company (USSCO). It was a similar structure to Karitane but was a single screw steam propulsion. On completion of its build, it was requisitioned by the Admiralty for war service with the General Steam Navigation Co. Ltd. until 1946, maintaining supplies to Europe and did not arrive in New Zealand until 1946.
It was one of the first ships on the New Zealand coast with steel hatch covers and worked onthe New Zealand coast as a Collier (coal bearing ship) until 1966.
The Kaimanawa II was sold in 1966 to Madrigal Shipping Company, Manila, (Philippines) and renamed Rosa Ann.
It grounded on Sibuyan Island, Philippines, and declared a total loss. It was broken up at Hong Kong in 1967.