Date Range1918-1978DescriptionIn 1918, the Parks and Reserves Department was established as a separate department, controlled by the Town Clark. Prior to this, matters relating to parks and reserves had been the responsibility of the City Engineer. The first director of Parks and Reserves was J.G. McKenzie, whose tenure spanned from 1918 to January 1947. In February 1947 Edward Hutt became Director. After Edward Hutt's tenure expired in 1965, Ian Galloway succeeded him. In June 1978 the name of the Department was officially changed to Parks and Recreation. Between those dates (and, frequently, earlier) it was also known simply as Parks Department. The Department oversaw many of the Council's recreation and cultural facilities.